Monday, 1 June 2009

I Don't Care Much for Words of Doom

Likely it's mostly a reflection of personal sensitivity given my fluctuating moods of late, but it seems to me I've witnessed more negative navel gazing in the past few weeks than is entirely healthy. The balance between optimism and pessimism is always a challenge, but if you pay attention only to the rain brought on by life's dark clouds, you'll tend to miss the bright colors revealed when the sun peeks out, as it inevitably does.


It's best to be on guard against creeping negative attitudes because positive change flows only from constructive actions and those actions are nurtured by the feeling of empowerment.


In every problem lies an opportunity that's waiting for someone to take action. Of course there is value in identifying problems; the world if full of arm chair critics who excel at that. There is even more value in identifying solutions; there tends to be a plethora of those as well. But in the end, the greatest value lies in taking action. After all, grand designs don't build themselves.


One of the problems I see is a lack of leadership from many of Eclipse's largest commercial members. We could bemoan that situation at length, but I gave up on that approach last July; soon it will be a year since I threw my shackles away. It's best to view the current situation as an excellent opportunity for smaller players and even individuals to step in and take charge. Don't complain about the economic downturn either. Sure this presents a significant barrier to all the players large and small, but those who persist will prevail and those who whine will fail. We should feel empowered by the extent to which individuals are making a significant impact at Eclipse; history is rife with such individuals and ultimately they shape our world.


I don't care much for words of doom. We should look beyond problems toward solutions and then take the next step toward action. And don't look to others to take those actions, look to yourself. Are those imaginary shackles constraining you? Throw them off! If someone tells you it can't be done, prove them wrong. Your greatest feeling of accomplishment will come from overcoming the most daunting adversity, so embrace challenges with a vengeance.

10 comments:

zelda14 said...

I mostly like your feelings. Anyway I would prefer 'conviction' rather than 'vengeance'. The only way I found to step forward is to ignore people who have a negative attitude. Don't throw your energy with them, you will never have something back. I'm thinking on one the latest thread on eclipse.modeling.
Your first point was about lack of leadership from our biggest company contributors. I agree there is always space for people who want to do something. e4 is coming a new step forward for our community.
Cheers.

Kevin McGuire said...

"It's best to be on guard against creeping negative attitudes because positive change flows only from constructive actions and those actions are nurtured by the feeling of empowerment."

Ed, that was really excellent.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for offtopic comment, but most of your blog entries are hard to read due to huge, absolutely unrelated images in the middle of the text.

I like your entries, but it is hard to get the point.

Is it possible to made images optional? Provide a link to it, provide some thumbnails, but don't include it in the middle of article in full size.

Ed Merks said...

The pictures are thumbnails of much larger pictures, at least on the planet feed and on the blogger site itself. Perhaps other rendering engines aren't doing as good a job...

The pictures are also on topic. The first picture is of bright color revealed in the sunshine after a rain shower; that's what the preceding sentence was about. The second is of a guard on duty in front of a palace in Sweden; being on guard is what the preceding sentence was about. The third is of a grand cathedral built by human hands in Sweden; that's what the preceding sentence was about. The final is of an individual who is commemorated for having left his mark in the world; again the topic of the preceding sentence.

Donald Smith said...

Ed, pay no attention to the anonymous trolls -- your blog is why many people check in here daily... I wouldn't change a thing...

Bjorn Freeman-Benson said...

I agree: action is where it's at. Preaching doom is easy and because it's easy it should be ignored. People (like you) who stand up and do something are who I listen to.

Anders said...

Keep the pictures Ed, they make your blog even more interesting to read. And I don't say this just because this time you have been visiting my home town, beautiful Stockholm. (You should have pinged me. I owe you at least a couple of beers).
---
Anders

Bruno L. said...

Yes, keep the pictures, Ed !
Your blog is original and refreshing.

John Conlon said...

Ed, your pictures have made your blog one of my thirteen year old daughter's most requested site when she stands behind me when I am working.

(I just hope all the enthusiasm for emf and eclipse won't ruin my plan to convince her to become a CSS designer so she can redo my website;-)

ps - I like the pictures too,

Kenn Hussey said...

Ed, it would seem that navel-gazing period (positive or negative) is an inhibitor to action; we need less talk and more walk!